PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When do you start logging time?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 18:07
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 443 Likes on 235 Posts
Helimutt,

I don’t understand your example, quote: “your” (= mine?) shiny police helicopter being involved in an incident. What does police aviation have to do with this discussion?

If you don’t understand about how running time relates to maintenance issues in your particular job, you might find it beneficial to speak to your maintenance organisation. Helicopter fatigue is a complex subject, but the initial "model" included in the manufacturer's design life does allow for some ground running, as it also does for transition/climb, cruise, low speed ops, landing cycles etc. Sometimes the aircraft is used under a very different regime to the "standard" and if so, a modified maintenance program may be implemented.

On the S-76s I flew for ten years or so, (A++, B, C and C+, multi-crew, btw), for two different organisations, one in UK and one overseas, for maintenance purposes, we logged airborne times to the minute from the FMS via the "w.o.w." switch, for each sector, as requested by the maintenance organisations. The type I fly now (multi crew, btw) is the same, in fact the figures are also recorded by the aircraft's data collection system. We interrogate the system after landing to obtain the hours and minutes flown.

For the pilots personal logbooks, on top of the wow figures, we added on taxy time (when the aircraft first moves under it's own power for the purpose of flight) if appropriate. Any subsequent rotors running on the ground between sectors was counted by the pilots because that does fall within the ANO definition of flight time for the purposes of a pilot's personal logbook.

It's certainly an interesting discussion. It appears that in UK we have pilots claiming different flight times under two different systems. When it comes to logging flying hours for licence upgrades, e.g. CPL to ATPL, the ones claiming for time outside of the ANO definition have an obvious advantage in this respect. I intend to request further clarification from the CAA.

My username is ShyTorque, btw.

P.S. From your patronising comments, you obviously assume I have only ever operated single pilot and am therefore completely uninformed about multi-crew ops. You began a thread congratulating Flingingwings on his well-deserved promotion to captain, in quite short order. Please note his comment in post #8.

http://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/325...and-hours.html