PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 17:53
S.F.L.Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could you pls elaborate on what would be the most most logical strategy in this case? This might help the me (possibly also others) to understand your point.
Again, this is not the point. Some found out that different tests in the sims could lead to different results. Fact is that in real life crew's reactions are what they are, and not always appropriate since the human brain needs to update its situational awareness and subsequently its strategy. This is why we are trained to perform some reflex actions to some alarms. A normal reaction to speed deviation from Vref is thrust correction, which was attempted by the crew in this particular case. Of course it takes some time for the crew to realize the action is ineffective. At this point the speed keeps going down and the crew naturally focus on sorting out the thrust issue as its difficult to admit you are now flying a glider. This particular point is the most critical as this is when the have to accept the problem and look for a different strategy. It is very interesting to me to see that actions were taken on the flaps (drag reduction strategy) prior to taking manual pitch control. It's probably a much easier mental process to give up on the initial flap setting than on the AP ILS approach. Taking over manual control of a critically low speed and powerless aircraft is a natural decision for any pilot. Why did it happen so late? My point is not to criticize the pilots, but to understand why they didn't take the actions we could expect in such situations.

In other words I don't want to know if I would do better than them, I want to understand why I might be doing the same thing. Hope this time my point is clear.