PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Short field versus Soft field.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 15:21
RatherBeFlying

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts
My softest field takeoff was from sand in a C-172 with four people and full tanks.

The start of the takeoff was with full back stick to about 35 kt, then it was necessary to lower the nose to accelerate faster.

PilotDAR makes a very good point
for the soft field, there is very little change in elevator command to become airborne during the entire takeoff run, the elevators are held in the position to get you airborne the whole run, only modulated to maintain the optimum pitch attitude.
Those of us with less knowledge of the a/c will want to keep the nosewheel well clear of the ground until we have enough speed to lighten the weight on the wheels and bring the nose down to takeoff attitude.

The one good thing about a soft field is that if you become doubtful about the take off, it is very easy to stop

And yes, taildraggers are more suited for soft fields.

Gliders do well in soft fields. I paced out my last outlanding at two glider lengths. The glider dug a trench with the wheel and came to rest sitting on the gear doors. I felt fortunate that I could get the trailer to the glider and the loaded trailer out without having to beg for a tractor

Last edited by RatherBeFlying; 3rd Jan 2010 at 15:51.