PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBC 1955 First Live airborne TV broadcast
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 13:22
bigal1941

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV from the air

If you dont mind a "civi" butting in on this forum, and perhaps move it to the historical section you might find that it wasnt the first time a television camera was put in a plane. I remember Richard Dimbleby ( senior) around the middle 50,s hosting a show from above Boulogne with a 3tube pedestal camera mounted in the rear door of a Bristol Freighter with all the gubbins in the nose. There are some ex BBC Techies out there who lurk who could supply all the details. It wasnt all that succesfull, a little bit like the first sattelite transmission through Goonhilly, but I do remember seeing the church on the hill above the town through a an electronic mist.
As a matter of interest around the mid sixties the founder of one of the pirate pop stations bought an aged Constellation based in Luxemburg and filled it with transmitting equipment and intended to fly a racetrack above Europe transmitting un licesed programmes to all and sundry It foundered for some reason and I have always wondered why, the americans did something similar around the same time and the technology certainly existed for it to work. Regards Alan