PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - When do you start logging time?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 11:39
Heli-Ice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This a fun debate and interesting to see where it is going.

In the helicopter I have mostly flown, there is a Hobbs meter that starts counting when the MGB pressure rises above a certain figure. Thats the time I use for my private logging of flight time. The helicopters technical time is also based on that meter and it is up to me as the pilot to record accurate technical time in the tech log by subtracting the time on ground while rotors are turning and stuff is beeing loaded/offloaded.

It is up to the pilot to decide if he likes to use the JAR definition to its limits and add a little extra for the time while rotors turn after shut down? Then he would base his extra minutes on the Hobbs meter reading.

By law, I am required to be at the controls during the time when rotors are turning for intention of flight and that has always been logged as flight time here in Iceland, and according to the Icelandic regs, which are based on the JAR's, it should be done so.

I guess it really does not matter in the long run if you log a few minutes more or less for every flight as long as there is no magnificent creative writing included.

All I can say about my logbook is that the hours in it are honestly logged and I can back it all up if someone decides to ask.

In my mind this is pretty simple, at least according to the Icelandic regs.
You log your flight time while rotors are turning for the intention of flight,
you log tech time between skids on.