PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 11:37
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger Violator.....Ignorance is bliss!!

Violator.....seldom have I seen such an opinionated post from one who apparently knows nothing about either the Pilot or CC role.

Firstly can I admit to not having read every post on this thread or was I onboard this plane at the time of the incident. I therefore consider myself uninformed on this aspect. The only thing I have an opinion on is the alledged conduct of the PU. IMHO it was disgusting and had the potential to compromise safety. The crew dec incident is indicative of a much bigger picture I feel and I also feel the Captain recognised that. I don't know that as I wasn't there.

There is no place for ego's on a plane. There doesn't need to be. It's why we have a chain of command. At my mob it goes on a non training flight:
  • Captain
  • SFO/first officer
  • Senior cabin Crew Member (thats me)
  • Cabin Crew. My deputy is the person whom I consider appropriatly experienced to take over my duties should the need arise and manage the rear of the plane.
The buck stops with the Captain as the aircraft commander...end of. A commercial jet is not a democracy. I am technically "in charge" of the cabin but anything that affects the safe operation of the flight either actual or potential gets passed through that door and we discuss it. It is a command decision as to what is done.

That said our commanders will listen to their crews and evaluate the info given to them by the people actually in the cabin. That applies to whether it is a crew member or a pax and is called CRM. It is based on mutual respect and effective communication amoungst other things....none of which seemed in evidence on this flight.

Your comments regarding the role of CC I will ignore as they are beneath contempt.

As for our "shop managers"? Well the last time I looked my local manager at Tesco's couldn't land a plane on the Hudson River saving over a hundred lives and yes he does have a degree. I wonder if "Sully" did?

I don't think "sully" used the computer either......he did it all by himself because that is what he is trained to do.

If the computer had landed that plane (if indeed it could be programmed in those circumstances) there may well have been a different outcome........I could stand corrected by that by a Pilot which I'm sure you are not.

The day we ever take our people away from the pointy end will be the day I never fly again.