PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 10:50
parabellum
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We live in modern times. Technology is making pilots redundant. A population with increasing intelligence and improved technology is making safety-related cabin crew redundant.

market forces having already started to make their jobs unnecessary and will make them totally un-needed shortly.
Whilst I can accept that technology will one day be able to carry out most of the tasks involved in getting a passenger aircraft from A to B I don't accept that they will ever become pilotless. The simple reason is security, imagine the mayhem if dedicated terrorists took over a ground control station, either by force or by jamming a ground station with powerful equipment, the resulting carnage would be worse than a world war.

As for flight crew, their role is being reduced to that of a shop manager. Certainly pilots are not equivalent to surgeons!
And no one has suggested that they are, only that it seems a lot less likely that people with little or no specific knowledge of medicine would dare to cast aspersions on a medical forum compared to the many, similarly unknowledgeable of aviation, that frequently come to an aviation forum such as PPRuNe for just that malevolent purpose, your post here being a classic example.