PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 10:35
S.F.L.Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you really believe that retraction of flaps was a coincidence? Commended 17 sec before impact while the AP disconnected some 7 sec before impact?

Are you trying to prove it was human error?
@ WojtekSz

I don't know what is so unclear in my statement but I never said the flap retraction was a coincidence (how could it be?!). What I meant is that by coincidence (as it wasn't the crew's intention) this flap retraction accelerated the occurrence of the pitch down movement at AP disconnect. Should the aircraft had few more knots to loose before reaching its lowest speed this AP disconnect and pitch down movement would have happened later, closer to the ground, with no more room to reduce the high Vz. Few seconds before the impact the Vz was way too high as the aircraft initiated a lazy stall.

You are talking about the low hour pilots and flying instinct. Where is the flying instinct when you are VMC, approaching stall speed with no available thrust and that nobody stops the AP to increase the attitude? The most basic flying instinct would command to take over manually just like in a trim overrun. Luckily the aircraft did it by itself and disconnected the AP as it reached unsafe limits. Is it really the aircraft's job to disconnect the AP when speed gets so low?