PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR for people that don't want to become professional pilots.
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 10:27
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IR for people that don't want to become professional pilots.

Assuming the JAA rules stay as they are today, at some point I might want to get an IR. Not now, but maybe in 1-2 years time.

My problem is that I'm a freelancer. I get my jobs very suddenly - often I get confirmed on a job only 2 days before it's happening. My job takes me to all corners of the world and the jobs vary in length, i.e., making plans ahead of time is impossible - it's just the nature of my work.

Now, this is the problem with the IR. It all seems to be geared towards pilots who are either unemployed elsewhere, or studying.

Is there any place in England, Europe, anywhere where you can do either a very condensed theory course (and ideally not one that has one batch every 6 months as if I have to pull out in the last minute due to work, I'd like to not have to wait another 6 to get on the next one) or where you can do most of it on your own as in a distance course?

The flight training is more flexible - it's just the time nature of the theory course that is the killer for me.