PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Israelification' of Airports: High Security, Little Bother
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 09:24
no sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who frequently went through Ben Gurion, for a non-Israeli, it is a complete nightmare (I'm white British).

Other check-points through into Israel (the Jordanian and Egyptian Boarders) are better but these are car/walk-ins.

If you fly on El Al then it is even worse.

I would anticipate something in the region of 45-90 mins of questioning - if flying non El Al. If I flew on El Al I would expect 90-120 mins of their 'screening' procedures. This started before I even got to the airport, as once they even called me at home before I left asking if I was going to be on the flight! Always the same questions, asked over and over again, with 2-4 people getting involved; the nature of the questioning could only be done by the Israelis! As soon as they phoned someone who I know who spoke Hebrew, and could vouch for me, then I was let on my way. The most bizarre thing was that leaving the country was far harder than entering it.

The length of time at Ben Gurion could be longer than necessary because my understanding was that it is a training centre, so perhaps they were using me as guinea pig. Anyway, I hated going through their security.

I can assure you that you really don't want to have Ben Gurion questioning tactics for passengers, unless racial profiling was very efficient (and accurate).