PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 08:02
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vapilot writes:

Runway position - this is where I found the most fault. Obviously, had they known where they were, the crew would have gone around. What could have led to this lack of positional awareness? Severely restricted visibility is the number one suspect whose accomplice could most likely have been a gust of wind from the rear.
Agree - at least one pax familiar with the field has expressed his [unqualified] opine that 331 touched down much later than he's accustomed to.

It's been mentioned here and elsewhere that the 738 doesn't cool its heels as quickly as some other 73s

Not faulting PIC/PNC with this.

If I HAD to place a blame somewhere, I'd lay it right on the airport itself. NMIA is a tight situation in the best times, should be lit up and should have "real" reports for runway contamination.

Nice, though, that nobody was killed, and looking at the pix, one must appreciate the engineering that allowed the engine to depart without ripping the wing apart.

While we're trying to suppose exactly what went wrong with the hope of seeing the same not happen again, let's not overlook what went right - no lives were lost.

RR