PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 03:15
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But VA...it's much worse if they did not have this awareness! So whether or not you find fault with that statement, the alternate 'aint no better. Consider: "The crew was clueless as to the prevailing conditions, and the amount of runway that wizzed by as they decided to continue the landing phase." Yikes!

I mean, what's left? They either were aware and blithely "kept to the mission", or were ignorant of their speed, position, condition of runway...and options.
I can tell you with 98% certainty the crew was well aware of their speed and options Mr. Skates.

Runway condition - braking reports on water contaminated runways are moderately uncommon and have inherent inaccuracies compared to their cold weather counterparts. All the same, the industry standard 15 percent fudge factor has worked reasonably well thus far.

Runway position - this is where I found the most fault. Obviously, had they known where they were, the crew would have gone around. What could have led to this lack of positional awareness? Severely restricted visibility is the number one suspect whose accomplice could most likely have been a gust of wind from the rear.