PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 19:06
tomdocherty72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
72 Sqn Memoirs

Hi John,

I am new to the forum (though I have been in the RAF for 32 years! I also thought it was a forum for juvenile, high testosterone fast jet pilots! Nothing could be further from the truth (mostly|)! In my defence I am a Support helicopter crewman (real flying at low level!)). I had no idea PPrune was so interesting! I am absolutely fascinated by your fathers memoirs. There are a number of reasons for this - a) It is a bloody excellent story, b) I have written three volumes of 72 Sqn history entitled Swift To Battle, and I wish I had found your fathers memoirs and you much sooner - what an addition to the first and second volume they would have made. c) I am membership secretary of the 72 Sqn Association - would you like to join us as a Friend of 72 Sqn Association?

I see Angus Mansfield has posted just before me about your father (Hello Angus, nice to see you are on here too). Rodney Scrase is the 72 Sqn Assoc president and Tom Hughes is a member, as are a few others of your father's era such as Dicky Bird, Jack Lancaster and Laurie Frampton.

Have you any intention of having the memoirs published? I think they would do very well. Angus is also a member of the Assoc and his father's biography is a very good read. Perhaps you would like to collaborate with him in writing a book?

So far I have only 'speed read' the forum entries, but I have cut and paste all of yours into a word document so I can read it all in one go! If you want more info about 72 Sqn Assoc or to add to your father's memoirs send me a message - I have copies of all of the 72 Sqn Operations Record Book. I am looking forward to your next instalment on PPrune.

Yours aye

Tom Docherty