PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 16:50
S.F.L.Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ WojtekSz
oups - i had an impression that the ILS was much more advanced and would actually lead the plane to land EXACTLY at the beginning of the runway - but who knows - maybe i was wrong
The ILS does not lead the aircraft to the begining of the runway but to the touchdown zone abeam which the glide path antennas are located. On the ILS you usually cross the threshold at 50 ft AGL and touch down some 300 m further.

Keeping the AP on probably means that the crew was expecting thrust to be recovered without deviating from the ILS. Disconnecting the AP and flying below GP to maintain some energy to reach the threshold at a decent Vz is most probably feasible (as in the sim) but would require immediate identification of the loss of thrust.

The OCH on an ILS is decreasing with the distance from the threshold, but gives some room to follow a "flatter" path. I was basically saying that since the acft had enough total energy to reach its actual touchdown point (in the grass) it could probably have reduced its impact Vz by saving energy in not following the GP, which seems to have been demonstrated in the simulator.