PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obstacle or standart srategy
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 12:01
potkettleblack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our company SOP is the obstacle clearance strategy as well. Be aware of any escape routes or decision points (such as those published when routing over the alps). The latter will be of more importance in the case of an explosive decompression, fire etc and/or an inability to maintain alitutude above the MSA/grid MORA - again not an issue on the A320 but will be on a heavy A321.

Getting down quickly and reducing the time on the remaining engine doesn't really feature in anything I have read for anything other than things like fires or decompression. Of course if you have reason to believe that the live donkey will go out (fuel contamination as an example) then I can see your logic for getting on terra firma quick. But generally in our airline we like to take things nice and slow. The obstacle clearance strategy will give you plenty of time to get on oxygen (if necessary), establish comms, work out who has control, carry out ecam procedures in an unhurried manner, get a call into ATC etc etc. If you have any doubts about your terrain clearance then get ATC to give you a vector to somewhere safe and back it up by checking against the enroute charts.

Finally the engines are rated for MCT for as long as you have enough fuel to feed them so I wouldn't be particularly worried about the live donkey unless as I noted above you had reason to believe that whatever caused you to lose the 1st one is about to raise its ugly head again.