PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 11:36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having began by observing the previous “locked” thread and now this one, along with following other forums and the media from the perspective of a “neutral” there seems to be a number of possible options:
  • BA management capitulate and give in to the Bassa “nuclear option”, in which case the airline will die a painful death. Odds. About as likely as me living to be the oldest person on this plant.
  • Bassa withdrawing their threat of another strike by way of the next ballot. Withdrawing from the court case and returning to the negotiations with a sensible approach. For this to come to pass the Bassa/Unite hierarchy would appear to need a brain transplant and I am not sure there is enough time left for the operations to take place. Undoubtedly, this would be the best solution for CC. In time the Company may return to its former glory. Odds. About as likely as me living to be the oldest person on this plant.
  • The current situation continues that will ensure the annihilation of BASSA. Recent past performance of both the CC and pilot unions indicate that the Company’s legal team is a cut above theirs. So far the results are BA 1 Bassa 0 and BA 1 Balpa 0. Although Balpa had the brains to realise they were on a hiding to nothing and returned to the negotiating table to conclude a satisfactory deal. On the balance of probabilities Bassa will have their tails between their legs when they next leave the High Court.
It would not surprise me to learn that some where in the recognition agreement, between BA and Bassa, there is a clause that allows either party to terminate the agreement. 90 days sound familiar. On winning BA could terminate the agreement with all the implications that would follow.
  • Bassa win in court, then follow their usual tactics and the BA cost base remains unsustainable as losses continue running at £1m per day until the airline ceases trading.
  • BA does a Swissair. All employees on new contracts and working to the legal limitations with not an industrial agreement in sight. Legally difficult to do because of the pension deficit millstone around its neck.
With regard to my options. I have a minimum of 12 flights planned for this year; fortunately, the first 2 are on BA that will not be affected by the next possible strike. All the others are going to be booked with other airlines for the following reasons. BA is now an unreliable carrier with a low morale workforce. But, more importantly I have doubts about the airline being able to deliver a safe operation and I regret to say that this opinion has been brought about by the selflessness of those employees who are prepared to see disaster strike and have no respect for the authority gradient when at work or the company they work for. How can I be sure that they will do their job in a conscientious and professional manner?