PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 10:29
TOM100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do though, like many others have suggested, doubt the resolve of crew to actually strike. I don't doubt their resolve to put an X in the yes box.

Look at 1997. Benign economic conditions, low interest rates, falling unemployment. BA posted record profits in 1996, record profit share with employees. easyJet barely two years old and small, Ryanair, still provinical Irish airline flying some clapped out 737-200's across the Irish Sea. BA still charging a few hundred quid to fly to GLA etc etc Arguably, inconceivable at the time that BA would fold, lots of job opportunities and economy buoyant, fuel prices low (relatively). Cabin crew still bottled it - a few hundred striking and the rest going sick or reporting for work !!

Compare with today, no sign of end of recession effects on BA, FR and EZY bigger than BA by some, open skies, rising unemployment, BA is perilous financial state, little job opportunities. New sickness policy (EG300), and a management with cojones and determination. Lots of companies wouldn't touch ex BA cabin crew with a barge pole because of all this. How many will strike this time ???

Also, I wonder in the run up to the injunction when management were ascertaining who was prepared to work, would strike, would do overtime etc etc if it gave any insight to them into the resolve of crew ???

Last edited by TOM100; 2nd Jan 2010 at 14:57.