PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 2nd Jan 2010, 05:07
Wiley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well spotted, belfrybat. My point exactly.

Some US cabin crew used to wear a pin-on badge saying "I'm here to save your ass, not kiss it." That badge speaks volumes about their attitude to service to their customers - and by extension, their tech crew. (It's been my contention for many years now that if the cockpit crew aren't being looked after satisfactorily by the cabin crew, I can safely assume that the passengers aren't being looked after satisfactorily either.)

Yes, I accept that cabin crews are there to provide a vital and important job in the event of an emergency, that of saving passengers' lives. However, in the meantime, they're fulfilling a rather important commercial job as well, that of being the major point of contact for their employer with the customer and providing a service to their employer's customers. I think there'd be quite a few who'd agree that a substantial percentage of the US FA fraternity (or, more accurately, sorority), particular those of 'a certain age', have long forgotten that part of their job description.

If the purser in question was too busy to have the time to knock on the cockpit door and provide the documents the captain asked for face to face, but somehow had time to see that he - or someone - from the other side of the cockpit door didn't retrieve the document she left half under the door until 37 minutes after she had put it there, someone (like her line manager) reading her report in the clear light of day might be forgiven for asking how she (or some member of the cabin crew) spent the 37 minutes between her putting the papers under the door and that someone seeing they were retrieved.