PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA Crash Jamaica
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2010, 23:33
Old School Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"In situations like Jamaica and Toronto, pilots often over focus on the immediate tactical decision associated with Cbs – airborne problems; avoiding turbulence, windshear, lightning etc.
Crews should consider more aspects of the ground phase of the approach and landing – have a strategic plan; e.g. what is the effect of heavy rain on the runway, how quickly does it drain, physical runway state, RESA, likely wind shifts, and any other aspects affecting landing performance safety margins."

Excellent comment. This is why forward, critical thinking and preparedness is such a crucial part of any decision making in all phases of flight and in particluar take off and landing. While I am not going to pass judgement on these Pilots at this time, I have seen and am familiar with similar scenarios in the past. It is disturbing for me to see these types of occurences take place. When the proper details and data are released, this will serve as a valuable learning tool for many. One should never let their experience work against them. Every piece of the situation that you miss, ignore, or assume, makes for unexpected and sometimes, disastrous consequences.