PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 1st Jan 2010, 22:12
A Comfy Chair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I agree people should not be subjected to abuse, I can see why sometimes Rainboe takes the stance he does. I often do not agree with his views or his manner, however when people who have no experience nor expertise continuously attack the profession and the essential role of the Captain (mostly propogated by "empowering" CRM sessions that have got it all the wrong way around), I can see why people get a bit firey.

I, like many others, am sick of reading opinion on operational matters on a PROFESSIONAL forum from those who have clearly never been involved in the operation of an aircraft. Questions are fine... most of us are 'aviation people' and are happy to share that... but when it turns into a "No, all of you old Captains are wrong, this is how it must be done" by people who are not qualified to give that opinion, it is very offensive.

The surgeon example has been given a few times, but there are others - how many industries tolerate abuse and insulting comments from outsiders? I can't think of many.

Unfortunately, ignoring is not always an option. There are MANY young and upcoming aviators and other interested people reading these forums, and the professionals here just can not sit by and allow the drivel that comes out of some people's keyboards go unchecked. There is nothing more deadly than giving someone wrong information on a flight deck, and the same principle applies here - giving uninformed opinion as fact (like so many seem to do) is very bad for the industry and needs to be corrected.

I would repeat the calls of the others - if you have a genuine question, please do ask it. But do not pass off uninformed opinion as fact, and if you decide your tactic is to insult us by questioning the actions of a flight crew member without intimate knowledge of the role, then expect someone to bite back.