PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KERRY
Thread: KERRY
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2010, 21:04
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Part of the problem for Kerry Airport is that the 738 is too big for many of the routes that would be desirable. Liverpool would like be one of the more relevant destinations from Kerry but a 738 is just too big. This is an ATR42 size route. Manchester was just about sustainable with an Aer Arann (think it was 72?) and the fact that Aer Arann lost the PSO meant that MAN KIR got the axe (i know they did continue it as a W pattern from MAN).

If Ryanair cannot make a route work other carriers are not interested in coming in when Ryanair axe the services. There are many examples
Dublin/Humberside (50% load was achieved on daily 738)
Dublin/Cardiff (the issue as headlined was fees but the yield was too low and hence more suited to smaller ac as 738 was too big for 1 daily rotation)
Dublin/Teesside
Dublin/Blackpool
Kerry/Liverpool
Dublin/Doncaster Robinhood

etc.

Kerry airport and many small regional airports need a well know brand airline, who has a good value perception, operates the correct aircraft at a reasonable frequency.

If an ATR was based at KIR I could see the following working;

Daily Manchester
Daily Birmingham
Daily Belfast City (EI had regular charters on 735 in 90s)
twice Weekly Dusseldorf (Kerry popular with Germans, subject to ac ability, may need to be one stop)
Daily Gatwick

Even a plane such as Let 410 or dornier would be a good addition (eg Manx 2 example) to develop these sort of routes and make the likes of a double daily MAN or LPL service. Obviously there would be high enough cost for operating such a small aircraft over a long sector but I think if marketed properly would work.

EI-BUD