PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fatal Flying on Airlines no Accident..
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2010, 19:50
Intruder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes you got me there Intruder, but please tell me the impact of the pressurization has on a short trip in Florida?
I already did, in Post #8.

I'm not familiar with the airplane or its MEL. However, after reading the article, I could add that having a minimally qualified FO and/or an airplane that pressed the limits of the MEL (e.g., seal leaking worse than when first reported/deferred) might well have exacerbated the situation.

Don't forget FAR 91.3:
(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.
Neither the dispatcher nor the mechanic who signs off a deferral has that responsibility or authority. If either one of them is being "pushed" by the company to release airplanes that are unairworthy or marginally airworthy, then the PIC is obligated to use that authority to stop the operation.

and FAR 121.533:
(c) The aircraft dispatcher is responsible for—
(1) Monitoring the progress of each flight;
(2) Issuing necessary information for the safety of the flight; and
(3) Cancelling or redispatching a flight if, in his opinion or the opinion of the pilot in command, the flight cannot operate or continue to operate safely as planned or released.
(d) Each pilot in command of an aircraft is, during flight time, in command of the aircraft and crew and is responsible for the safety of the passengers, crewmembers, cargo, and airplane.
(e) Each pilot in command has full control and authority in the operation of the aircraft, without limitation, over other crewmembers and their duties during flight time, whether or not he holds valid certificates
authorizing him to perform the duties of those crewmembers.
Note that in 121.533(c)(3), the company, in the form of the Dispatcher, is REQUIRED to cancel the flight if in "the opinion of the pilot in command, the flight cannot operate or continue to operate safely."

Finally, remember that FAA and MEL limitations are limitations IN ANY CASE, and specific circumstances may warrant more stringent limitations. Again, the final call is the RESPONSIBILITY of the pilot in command.