PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NORWICH
Thread: NORWICH
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2010, 16:34
9VSIO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my two cents as a pilot about Norwich.

I did my second landaway to Naarch, and I was looking rather forward to it. I had known that the landing fees were going to be in the region of 30quid, but was prepared to pay it. On the way in, ATC were professional as one would expect. Things started to go a bit south on the ground. Went with my instructor to pay the fee after being shuttled across the apron, entered the airport ops room, and there was such a scene in front of me. No one bothered to attend to us for ages - you'd think that they'd want to get rid of us as quick as possible. Was hit by the minimum charge of 46quid. Now that I was not expecting. Turns out that it was on the last page of charges, well after the landing fee was written up. Lesson learnt! In hindsight, I should have uplifted fuel.

Inside, the airport was very regional. That's all I can say about it really. Didn't pay the passenger development fee as we were crew, and we probably wouldn't have done so if we had to.

Ah, security check. No exceptions for GA pilots it would seem. The lady at the checkpoint told us there'd be someone to let us out of the terminal on the other side, but upon emerging all x-rayed, there was not a single member of staff to be found. So back to the counter to find someone to let us pass. All in all, it was the ground side of things that let the airport down.

Also, I remember that the taxiway for GA aircraft was rather...poor.

My second, and last trip, was for my cross country qualifier. I had to use NWI as the X-wind at other locations were way out of limits. This time, I didn't bother to go landside. Just paid my fees, got the MET, used the loo, and got out.

Norwich Radar has always been very nice in my experience with them. I've used them whenever I'm in that area - it always seems to be the same lady working it! She'll even call up North Denes just to check it's clear of traffic when I ask if she can see anything on her scope!

In light of Coventry's fee reductions as the airlines leave it, I had hoped that Norwich would have done the same. But the last time I checked (August), the silly fees were still there and that put me off flying there for some instrument work.

What's sad is that when my instructor flew into Norwich for his x-country quali, it only cost him 7 pounds to land there... One can only hope that management wake up and make the place friendly and appealing to GA again.