PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's good someone was awake.
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2010, 10:31
mikk_13

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If it means that a 10-20 year controller just watches their own console and doesn't keep an eye out for the newbie, you are wrong, and it's not about dobbing, it's about keeping an eye out and helping out. Yes, the newbie has the same over-all responsibility but they don't (in most cases) perform to the same efficiency levels as the more experienced.
There is no way any controller can watch what is happening in the airspace around them when they are busy. The only traffic they will be watching is the stuff that is coming to them vs the stuff that is leaving them. It just doesn't happen. It is even quite possible you have 2 or 3 new controller sitting in a row.
And here comes the industrial bomb shell here, you think 10-20 year controllers are important, well most of them in the sector that is in question are in Germany or the middle east right now.

Its all very nice to say your 10-20 year controller can do it better. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. Do you really think this would not happen to an experienced controller.

Just culture to me doesn't mean finding touchy feely, politically correct excuses for occurences.
Thats all great, but you are going to miss the possibility of finding why he made the **** up. You don't know if pressure was put on him to work a night shift before an afternoon shift, you don't know if he was told he has to work 10 in a row, you don't know if there were not enough staff to split the sectors and he felt the pressure to keep going, you don't know if he tried to call in sick that morning and they talked him into coming iin so not to let down his mates. But I can tell you it is very very possible that all these things did happen and may have contributed to the problem. It will happen again and most people who I talk to say that it is just a matter of time before something gives. I can tell you every day pressure is applied to run it lean and thin at the cost of safety.

It seems most people are living in a dream because this is how it is. Maybe it wasn't always like this and they haven't caught up to the fact that it has changed. Now I'm an outsider looking in and I can tell you it is not good.