PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Twin Comanche info needed, please
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2010, 09:27
bookworm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lindberg put together a comparison chart between Beech Travelair, Piper Seminole, a Dutchess, some-or-other thing called a Cougar, and the Twinky. Compared load, current price, speed, range, fuel burn, etc. The Twinky really does seem way ahead of the pack. Furthermore, all the pilot reports seem to indicate that all the rest were bolted together purely as trainers whereas the comanche would appear to be in a Mooney-esque class of its' own. Hmm, going to be interesting to fly the thing.
I (and my current co-owners) flew a Mooney 201 for years but decided that the mission profile was such that an economical twin would be preferable. We did the utility comparisons just like you, and also concluded that the Twin Com was ahead, so we went for it. But the unexpected bonus was that it really does fly beautifully.

I think the landing issues come from the nose-high ground attitude. For any landing aircraft, there's a window between the limits of stall AoA and ground attitude (to avoid banging the nosewheel first). For the Twin Com, that window is narrow. Full flap doesn't help (reduces stall AoA). The vortex generators do.

You can get lucky with landing. Our aircraft was flown by a prospective (and now current) Twin Com owner, with a great deal of light twin experience. His words after his first landing were "You know I really don't see why everyone makes such a fuss about landing the Twin Com. It seems just fine to me." After his second landing, his words were "Oh... Sorry ..." We parked up and closed the baggage hatch which had popped open with the impact.