PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Employee Engagement
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2010, 07:27
kellykelpie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Keg - hang on. You've just told me that time to command was 14 years but has maybe blown out now. I said 15 - 20 (now) and you've called that an outright distortion (you chose to leave out the 15 -).

There are plenty of SOs that are spending 5-10 years before promotional training - I'm sure you would agree with that. The fact that they are doing that of their own choice means that there must be a disincentive to take promotion (reduction in pay, reduction in conditions).

The benefits of promotion are where the opportunity lies. Normally this is very clear cut - I have more responsibility so I get more rewards. The disincentives need to be addressed by overhaulling an outdated system so that people choose career growth when it presents itself. In Qantas this might be a very long time (as we have established), especially when you look around at what else is on offer.

In the meantime there is under-employment - people working well below their ability and experience. These people will not be engaged until they see the possibility of real career growth.

You are correct in saying that such opportunities only exist in expanding airlines. The Qantas Group has had massive expansion over the last few years. Most of the resulting opportunities have not been made available to the people that, in general, have the most years of service and experience in the group. In my opinion a lot of Goodwill was passed up on that the company (perhaps hindered by the Union) could and should have extended its staff. This has not been engaging.

Last edited by kellykelpie; 1st Jan 2010 at 08:57.