PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 1st Jan 2010, 00:38
Marty-Party

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I'm absolutely sick of this. I know it's thread creep but can someone post my reply on the BASSA forum wrt pilots.

In the US, a pilot's ATP licence is regarded as a degree. In the UK, the amount of tuition time to get a CPL exccedds that for a degree (i.e. no holidays, no "reading" weeks etc). An Air Transport pilot used to be regarded at the same level as Doctors, Accountants, Architects etc but neve rat the same level as Cabin Crew, Firemen, Ambulance Drivers etc. There is a huge difference so please could all the cabin crew get over it. Just because we work in the same environment does not mean we should be rewarded the same.

I spend a lot of time encouraging CC to join us on the flight desk for departure, and what do they do? Run in just before we enter the runway for takeoff. Similarly, for a landing they turn up around 5000' when being vectored onto the ILS when all the preparation is complete.

Neither of the above can give any idea of what pilots do and so CC have no right to suggest that we do nothing. If you want to know what we do then come into the flight when the briefing is explaining MSAs, diversions, fuel calculations etc. Ask to watch a sim detail with multiple failures and the prospect of imminent death!

CC most of you have no idea what pilots do so stop discussing it as if you do. On occasion we position in the cabin and see your job - also I was CC so I know exactly what your job entails. It has no comparison.

It's like comparing a receptioninst with an accountant. I know it sounds harsh but that is the reality from someone who has done both jobs.

Anyway back to the real topic which is about cabin crew Ts & Cs (not related to pilots, catering, accounts, travel agents or many other professions who operate in the same industry).

Last edited by Marty-Party; 1st Jan 2010 at 08:45.