PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 31st Dec 2009, 19:11
German Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To BA crew:You have no idea how lucky you are and I cant believe you're risking your company and job just because you have to work with one less crew onboard.. it just amazes me..I did 11 months on BA worldwide and let me tell you that I have never had such a good life and you're so fortunate and it's shame you just cant realize that! It's not that hard work and there was not any problem to do it when someone went sick in London and you had to leave without that crew.. but, still you'd get the payment for it. Maybe that's the difference.. I don't know..I came from Qatar Airways as cabin senior (like purser) to BA and if you think work is hard at BA maybe you should go down there.. let me tell you.. we had no unions to protect us.. nothing! It was a take it or leave it mentality and even our CEO and crew manager said if we dont like it we just have to leave because there'll be thousands of people waiting to take our job. We weren't that valuable to them..We did shorthaul and longhaul together and many times even with minimum rest between flights! We could do a night flight from Singapore to Doha, minimum rest and then do a four sector day intra-gulf which was sometimes over 12 hours long! On that four sector day sometimes we didnt even get off the aircraft.. and.. we only got paid for the flight hours! No meal allowance either as we got food on the plane..Go sick because you dont like a trip? If you do that at QR they will sack you just like that.. even if you are new or if you have worked there for 10 years.. they dont care. There's always people waiting to take your job.Crew rest? We never got that.. I once did a Dhaka which was delayed and turned out to be 16 hours.. no overtime pay, nothing. We got paid for the flight hours which was like 7 hours or so.. back to Doha and minimum rest before flight to Casablanca..Working one down? At QR.. if they couldnt find any standby crew flight would leave anyway as long as legal.. once I did a 30 minute flight to Bahrain on a full A320 with 4 crew!! 6 was standard.. Full service needed to be done or we'd be in trouble..Okay, maybe you cant compare BA to QR but the point is that you are so fortunate to work for them. You have some of the best t&c in the industry.. you even get crew rest on a flight to Cairo and sometimes over an hour to New York.What's the problem with your CSD working in the cabin? CSD at QR does it.. EK does it.. I think many airlines in Europe do it! I had a very good time at BA but I think the problem is that many crew are so comfortable in their jobs and always had the union to go to.. so many senior crew who do the same position over and over.. I remember a guy who'd been doing the same position for over 10 years.. and, on 767 no 5 was always the last position to go because it was hard work in Club, doing PA, looking after flight crew and all.. crew on 767 who'd been flying for a very long time and would always avoid it! It was also the same on 747 and 777.. always same positions which would get left last and most of the time the toughest ones..So I think working with one crew member less is not the end of the world.. even less to strike about.. many people would love to do your job even with less t&c and I'm one of them and still waiting for BA to call and ask me to come back. And I will take it and many of us ex-temps will!