PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 31st Dec 2009, 18:41
SlideBustle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keirhardie - disgusting post, even though you ''like to give pax the best start to their holiday'' - do you think striking gives a great start to a pax holiday. No I don't think so either, anyway it sounds as if you have been sent from the other ''forums'' to troll won't waste too much time!

MissM - I accept the allowances because I have no other choice. Do I enjoy the allowances? Of course I do, thank you BASSA for negotiating them in the past! You have missed the point there. I have said on here I would consider hourly pay etc etc... new variable pay for New Fleet/Contract. I have also said that I would accept the Fixed Monthly Travel Payment to replace my CATs (personally I think CATs are something that could be sacraficed) long day payments etc... Something the union will not accept. They don;t mind the new contract for new recruits oh of course not as long as BA don't touch their pay or threaten themselves a la New Fleet. Ironically they are being short sighted as if BA push through with New Fleet but BASSA have not accepted to FMTP then you may be right to worry about your Boxes etc. Bill has said the payment is not for the company but is actually an OPTIONAL payment should you feel worried you may be missing out on your boxes and make your pay more consistent. You still get your meal payments, therefore the longer the trip, the more meal payments you achieve (in general - it's not a perfect system when on SH you may be 5 minutes off a meal payment and the same length of duty day that reports slightly later gets 2 payments!)

What we have to realise is that we are first off not indispensable. Also, let's say New Fleet starts up within the next year or 2 on pretty much identical T&Cs to LGW fleet... only difference would be the routes. You would probably be safe to assume some LGW crew would transfer over to enjoy the wider choice of routes, they would have nothing to lose as T&Cs would be pretty much the same (may even be better who knows!!) you would probably get some LHR and LGW crew who would accept the ''carrots'' of promotion as you call it. I would!

EF and WW would still exist, however if the union had negotiated properly, accepting some big changes, then current crew would be protected with a payment, it could even be incorporated in your basic or be made contractual. Also the union may have agreed to a list of routes to go over first... Hopefully a good mix of high earning and low earning to ensure old fleets are not having all the good trips starving. What will you lose??? HOWEVER if BA lose patience and issue 90 days notice (perfectly legal!) and we are all put on a New Fleet type contract, what will you lose?? Equally IF this strike causes BA to go bust (BA is certainly not in a really strong untouchable position!) then what will you lose?? It is tough out there and not particularly the easiest climate to find a new job easily!

Please strikers, THINK. You may not have much to lose, particularly if you have 2 successful internet business or a lovely home with fab partner in LA to fall back on, and just use BA to fund a rather lovely lifestyle (as it is - for you longhaulers where else could you be in LA one week, New York the next??) If you were out of a job, it may actually not be a loss to you, ''oh well no more shopping in New York and getting paid for it for me'' but for a LARGE proportion, no, majority of us it will be a huge loss!! If it came to it I would even rather be on New Fleet than be out of a job. Although I would rather not be on NF as main crew, it would probably be better than being out of a job. It is NOT easy finding a new job in a recession... there are many other unemployed ex crew who have passion for the job and would love to the job for less!! SO before you go on about ''Willie's'' regime, please get a sense of perspective and WAKE UP, before it is too late.

EDITED TO ADD. Happy New Year to everyone!!! Hope 2010 can be a year for a new lease of life into our workforce and some common sense! The optimist in me says ''let 2010 be the year BA grows and recovers to be at a better place for the future - start New First lol!!'' Very corny I know!!