PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United GRU-ORD Divert to MIA to Offload Purser
Old 31st Dec 2009, 17:30
letterman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRM...CLR???

After inquiring...at United...they have a program for all Flight Personnal (cockpit & Flight Attendants) called, "CLR." "Command, Leadership Resource." This is a program that aides communication between the two groups. It does not take away captains authority but is in place so the the two groups can work together more easily, considering the climate of flying in this day and age, perfect example last week on Delta flight from Amsterdam. The Flight Attendants are the "eyes and ears" for the cockpit. From my, understanding, there is not a lot of "chest thumping" of, 'I am captain', but a much better working reletionship between the two groups. In this thread...I must say...there is quite a bit of the "chest thumping" attitude. And it sounds like much of it is from retired pilots. Many entries begin with, "when I was captain" or when I was flying" etc. Attitudes and times do change. Captains authority does not change but, how one handles that responsibility and exercises it says alot. In my opinion, if a captain lands an international flight because of a dislike/personality clash or whatever with a flight attendant...that appears to be a sign of a pilot who is not a skilled leader. After all, the captain, male or female, is the leader of the crew. I highly suspect that a "food tampering" issue was NOT at stake. If I read this thread correctly, the Purser was not removed from flying or suffered any negative consequences and that says alot right there. but the captain has not flown. While, I do believe that a captain has the right to land if he/she feels the necessity, this seems way out of proportion. If a captain that is in comand of an aircraft can't manange to continue to fly the remaing 2 hours to final destinaion after being in the air for over eight hours because of a problem with a flight attendant, I find concerning.It appears there was no imment medical emergency, threat to the crew or aircraft...if there was, by the Purser, would he have not been detained in Miami?! Apparently, none of these problems existed, therefore; I find the actions of this captain, "over the top" and that is more disturbing than anything.