PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - English R/T procedures.
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2009, 15:34
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In most cases the pilot was not in reception of at least a basic service but if they had of been they would most likely have been warned by ATC before things went pear shape.
Only if

- the controller's unit had radar, and
- he was permitted to see the screen (non radar qualified ATCOs are on a lower pay scale and are not allowed to see the screen - CAA/union rules)
- he had issued a squawk (possible but unlikely if not officially a radar unit)

I think what you are really getting at is that many pilots cannot navigate (they are probably flying as trained, without a GPS ) and many (most?) don't get notams, so being visible to ATC does have a value in that ATC has a better chance of pulling someone's chestnuts out of the fire. But it isn't meant to work that way... navigation is not ATC's job, and pilots not getting notams is just a reflection of a generally non-IT-aware pilot community

The London FIS is an excellent service even though without RADAR.
They do actually have radar but it is filtered to not show most traffic (I believe it is set up to show only their listening squawk) and they aren't allowed to say anything on the radio suggesting they can see you. They certainly won't offer traffic info even in a head-on situation. The facility has been provided to enable London Info to contact planes showing the listening squawk, in case they are busting, etc. It is really major progress but it has a long way to go.

I am generally in favour of speaking to ATC (most definitely so outside the UK, but there they nearly all have radar anyway, and they use it overtly) but I think the general drift in PPL training (call up every unit along the track and give them your inside leg measurement) is simply wrong and creates false expectations of some kind of "traffic notification" or "traffic separation" service.

The other day I got a BS from Solent Radar; they gave me a squawk and it was "obvious" that they were watching me on radar, but this is for their convenience and it would be wrong to expect a separation service.

This has all been done to death here but what is the use of talking to a unit which tells you of "seven aircraft known in your area" ? Firstly, that kind of info is useless for traffic avoidance, and secondly there will be many more who are not talking to that unit. And if everybody did talk to that unit (e.g. London Info) that service would collapse instantly. As it is, with London Info, on a nice day one can hardly get a word in edgeways.