PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 31st Dec 2009, 14:43
MissM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tagron

It probably sounds extremely selfish to say that I would rather see the company go bankrupt instead of letting WW and BF having their way through. And, by all means it's selfish to think that way. Maybe it's bitterness towards the management for wanting to change the way we work or for trying to destroy our union once and for all. Because that's exactly what's happening.

If you don't work for BA it will be very difficult to understand the mentality in the company. People wonder why we are suspicious? Management has constantly lied to us and given promises which they haven't kept. Everything they say should be taken with a pinch of salt and never trust them because sooner or later when you least expect it they will mess around with you big time.

Every other department has agreed to changes in their agreements. Congratulations. They are now blaiming us for being perverse for not wanting to come to an agreement. BA and UNITE have been in negotiations for almost a year and I won't deny that both parties are extremely far apart as to how achieve savings of around £150 million pounds. What is happening at the moment in the world is something which won't last forever. Recessions come. Recessions go. I don't agree with everything which UNITE has suggested. All savings to be paid back in 2 years time is one of them. A new disruption agreement being worth £60 million pounds solely is another one.

BASSA is not flawless. BA is not flawless either. BA wants to get back its control of the airline which BASSA has had for decades. It's understandable they are fighting against it, isn't it? I don't want BA to get all control either because I don't trust them for a second and they would probably shaft us. They already do every now and then to see if they can get away with it. Call me suspicious.

How do you think it feels when WW is constantly repeating how much we cost and comparing us to Virgin Atlantic? He makes us feel nothing as a burden to the company. I don't think morale in this company has been as low as ever since WW took over the post as CEO. Some will say that he was brought to the position only to destroy BASSA and obviously at any cost. He was even willing to risk a strike!

Why am I prepared to bring the company down? If you look at what WW and BF want to do in a long term perspective to cabin crew. The ballot was about imposition which is only a small part of our savings. It's not avoidable to discuss NewFleet which makes up the majority of the savings. It will be destructive and those who choose not to transfer and accept a new contract will have their career come to and end. Like it or not. WW has had this up his sleeve for two years and it has caused a lot stress. He said he would be willing to discuss this with UNITE. Why would he not go ahead with something which he has has planned for years? That's suspicious. If that's the game he wants to play and get rid of us expensive crew through this destructive system, and this will sound really awful, I would rather see the company capsize.