PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B757 Flap/slat Non-normals
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2002, 22:34
scanscanscan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
av8er Thank you for picking up on that point.
I did not see the Boeing RTO video despite operateing the 767-300er for 11years. I stand corrected.
I was taught if one tyre went on a heavy jet 4 tyre truck, its axle mate would overload and go seconds later, you listened out for the double pop, got hydraulic warnings from the damage and aborted. So for me it was one pop after 80kts go and two pops stop.
Hydraulic and leading edge damage is unlikely to leave an engine or engines undamaged.
To continue would leave you possibly unable to retract the gear with hydraulics gone and parts of the damaged tyres likely to be ingested into the engines, flap/slat/hull damage etc.
If this tyre burst was on a max heavyweight takeoff I felt the 767 aircraft was unlikely to fly on one engine with gear down and with possibly two hydraulic systems out.
Prevoiusly my airline operated L1011 and had a great deal of tyre problems and some aborts in 1975/6.
With a tyre failure, a Ba Captain at Cdg attempted to continue as he was taught at BA, the axle mate failed, the boggie draged, the takeoff then had to be aborted as the aircraft would not accelerate. The remaining two tyres failed, the bogie was destroyed and the gear leg ploughed the runway, that helped it stop.
The same thing happened (tyre and axle mate tyre failed) on takeoff in Karachi, but this Captain based on the Cdg incident immediately aborted and useing tiller steering kept it on the runway with much less damage than the Cdg incident.
We were required to demonstrate on the 767 remaining on the runway aided by the tiller steering with an axle double tyre failure based on the companies experience of these L1011 tyre abort incidents.
However I accept that Boeing has considered all this and it is unimportant if the axle mate fails or not, the hydraulics and engines could be damaged but this is acceptable, and that today the method they require taught, is to once again as the Ba Captain was taught to take the tyre failure/s and hydraulic failure/s into the air after 80kts.
Today Boeing must know you can still accelerate and control it to Vr with or without the axle mate tyre failing and all of the above so its nolonger a non normal... until you rotate?
If you do not return safely you can always complain to Boeing. They will explain that as the aircraft has now been proven unflyable you should have aborted/abandoned.
Do you recall the Spanish Captain in a DC10 who did a very late(20 ft airborne) rejection and the Cdg Concorde both results were not good but one was much better than the other.
The lesser of two evils and a difficult call.
I am very glad I nolonger have to consider the legal implications of this call one advantage of having been terminated by the age 60 rule.

Last edited by scanscanscan; 28th Jun 2002 at 06:50.