PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 30th Dec 2009, 19:51
midman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we've managed to extract enough answers from the typical Bassa mindset to demonstrate the problems that BA has with its cabin crew union.

I think most impartial observers will now agree that it's quite amazing that the Board of BA has maintained such a patient approach to these negotiations, now nearly a year old, in the face of such self-centred, introspective and victim-cultured narcissism.

The attitude that the hardcore bassa members have of being superior to other companies' cabin crew, even their own colleagues at Gatwick, justifying salaries and terms and conditions way out on a limb in excess of the industry norm, yet backed by a rigid dogma that only they are the virtuous ones, working so hard as life-saving angels yet treated in a way far below the status they should be accorded.

There are cabin crew out there who don't think like this, who take a reasoned and considered approach to the company's plight, yet are left voiceless and unrepresented due to the bullying nature of the powerful Bassa reps. That voice needs to be heard, and Bassa has to listen - those people are it members too. All those cabin crew that read this thread who don't post but just browse, please mention the pprune website to other cabin crew in passing, it's the only place where the issues are debated properly and where the counter argument is tolerated.

If people don't see the true reason for this dispute, the surely we'll be dragged into a situation where people one day soon wake up without a job, career or income, and say "How the hell did that just happen?"

I've been to war and I've seen the damage people are prepared to inflict on others in the cause of supporting their tribe, despite the overwhelming wrongness of the cause, particularly when led by a strong-willed leadership, intolerant of adverse criticism and when carried along on a wave of compliant, cultish, unthinking followers.

I see the same sad flaws in human nature in this dispute. The problem is, negotiation rarely has an effect, normality only returns with the abject defeat of the mad dogma.