PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tories to look at pensions.
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2009, 16:10
WorkingHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I remember the pension payable at 38/16 years was also accompanied by a tax free gratuity of 3 times annual pension. Thereafter the pension was static until the age of 55 was reached and then it was inflation proofed with all inflation increases immediately applied at age 55. Is this now significantly changed?
For those for whom this is a sacred cow please consider where you may be able to aquire such generous pension/retired pay in any other walk of life. The actual pension payable may not be a generous fraction of final salary but dont forget the period you have been able to get this from age 38 and dont forget the tax free gratuity that is payable. When in civvy street one take up to 25% of the "pot" from ones pension then the pot is of course much less and the pension is based on what is in the pot. Yours is not. Please have some sense of what civilian life is truly like in terms of pay and pensions anyway. If not the by all means join the dole queues which many (not all) will surely do because the proper jobs simply are not there. Oh and by the way many of you would only be earning the statutory minimum rates of pay with ALL you living costs to be paid from your earnings.
I wouldn't (perhaps couldn't) do your jobs any more but I do think you need to see what advantages you have by being in the British military.
Keep safe