PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - English R/T procedures.
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2009, 15:31
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
English R/T procedures.

Right, so one thing I've noticed is there doesn't seem to be a need for an aircrafts intentions in English R/T. You basically just ask anyone (regardless of they have a radar or not) for basic service and that covers you for everything, it seems.

Not once have I heard anyone call up and after initial contact to Lydd and finish with "...for landing". Or "for taxi".

The other day I came in via Rye and called in and finished with the non standard UK "...for landing", but forgot to say basic service. This was immediately picked up on the response was "..report 4NM and basic service". I could have done chandelles sideways and still be under basic service or my intentions could have been to just cross the control zone on my merry way to somewhere else. I'd imagine my intentions would be more important, no?

Or have I misunderstood the meaning of basic service? Doesn't it mean the equivalent to Flight Following in the US, basically that they have you on radar and will aid you in separation to other aircrafts if they can. What's even more puzzling is that, as far as I know, Lydd has no radar so why we have to ask for basic (as in radar) service eludes me.