PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPDATE - Seeking docs to play "House" for real
Old 30th Dec 2009, 13:47
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS,

That's interesting because the haemo chief said they'd ruled out haemolitic anemia for some reason. I'll check back on them with that.

As for malaria and stuff, that's another interesting conundrum: Looking back at pictures, she started turning orange around 20 Oct but was acting fine in all other respects. Her "crash" started on 15 Dec with a fever, one-time vomit on 16, and again on 17 Dec when she was taken into the ER with an Hgb count of 3.6.

Since then, her Hgb destruction seems to have been at a high rate. After two transfusions a day apart, her Hgb was up to 11.1, 10.8 a day later, and down to 5.6 after 6 days (from the 11.1 reading). So, it seems to me that her Hgb destruction has accelerated but something was turning her orange for about 6 weeks prior to that. I'm no doctor so have no idea how, or even if, these timelines and conditions are related but something seems to be changing rates.

Coming back to the malaria, it seems like this started while we were in the UK but accelerated recently. Whether that is due to the move or something she contracted here I don't know. I'd be surprised, though, since my mother-in-law is about as OCD as anyone you've ever seen when it comes to germs and the baby. She doesn't even like to let the baby go outside because it's not clean.

We've recently discovered mice are getting into the house, though. Could that have anything to do with it?

Shawn