PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tories to look at pensions.
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2009, 13:21
minigundiplomat

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts
This is set to rumble on....

Firstly,

Public opinion (at the moment) won't let any government cut our pensions whilst 'our brave lads' are in Afg and the bankers are still awarding themselves bonuses. That could change, but not in the next few years.

Secondly,

if it is introduced, it will only affect those who follow us. Think about it, Flt Lt X* stands up in court with the following defences:

I have only remained in the RAF for the last [insert length of time] because of the anticipated pension. During this time I could have been earning £[insert sum based on Virgin/BA payscaling] and therefore I wish to claim for lost earnings based on a promise that the MOD are now failing to live up to.

or

I, Sgt Y have endured lower than industry average pay for the last 23 years, including a 4% discrepancy set aside for pension contributions, only to find the MOD have now cut my pension.

or

The AF pension was one of the main resons for me staying over the last 10 years. During this time I have spent 4 years in the Middle East facing danger on a daily basis [point to long row of medals] and have been repeatedly seperated from my young family. Having endured all this, the MOD is now cutting my pension.

or

Having been repeatedly moved around the UK and Europe for the past 30 years on behalf of the MOD, I have been unable to put down roots or buy a house. I was depending on the pension in order to do this, however as this has now been cut, I am soon to be made homeless.

*or RN/RM or Army equivalent.

Thirdly,

However much the government wishes to shrink the forces, there are still core branches and pinchpoint trades it knows it needs, even if they give up on their top table aspirations. Do they really want to see all of these people walk, and have the entire armed forces under 25?

I think our pensions are fairly safe (and I use that phrase loosely in the present climate), and there are far bigger issues to grapple with right now if you must worry.
However, if youre about to join up, I would prepare for a BOHICA moment viz a viz pensions.