PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - idiots with shotguns
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2009, 08:47
s1lverback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It depends...

Chaps, if you check out the US firearms forums, you will see suggestion that you can use these rounds with chokes - though I would buy a specific tool for the job.

Taken from one forum:

"This frangible projectile is made of compressed, powdered copper and tin and was developed as an alternative to a battering ram. The door breacher produces an effective means of removing locks and hinges from doors constructed of up to 16 gauge steel, while limiting the projection of hazardous debris and collateral damage on the other side of the door.
To be used with Improved Cylinder, Skeet or Cylinder Bore Chokes.
The breaching round is designed to defeat door locks and hinges. It is fired 4" to 8" from the target. At impact, the metal powder filled projectile cup disintigrates, dissipating its entire energy on the target.
Breaching rounds, often called Disintegrator or Hatton rounds, are designed to destroy door deadbolts, locks and hinges without risking lives by ricocheting or by flying on at lethal speed through the door, as traditional buckshot can. Breaching rounds may be used in a standard combat shotgun or riot shotgun, or in a specialized shotgun."

I won't be using them in my Kreighoff, but may opt for $200 pump action remington with a 'tactical choke' - designed specifically for breaching.

Now all I need is a door to blow the hinges off!

Returning to the orginal post...unlikely you will take out a chopper unless it's heading straight for you (closing distance) and you are using a somesort of lethal projectile (not birdshot), such as an RPG or a rifle (to shoot the pilot with) - then it would be deliberate rather than 'missing the pig'

Do they do a standard rotary cannon fitment for the EC120..or is that considered a 'minor mod'?