PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - john frohnsdorff elected BALPA General Secretary
Old 27th Jun 2002, 18:21
beaver eager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Airrage... I'm impressed. You can do it if you really want to (make a short post, I mean).

Martin A,

I really think you're wasting your time continuing to defend an out of date position. The deep distrust amongst the membership was caused mainly by a lack of openness from BALPA about the fact that CD was due for re-election in the first place.

JF and others were simply not happy to "rubber stamp" another five years without the membership being consulted on the issue. Ultimately, democracy has prevailed.

The rule book should specify that an election be held EVERY FIVE YEARS without fail, even if the only opposing candidate is a stalking horse standing merely for the sake of democracy (a bit like JF just did). At least the membership would ALWAYS be given the opportunity to vote against the incumbent, even if no suitable candidate were standing against him. A message from the membership can therefore be sent, even if change does not prevail.

Come to think of it... Many executive positions are granted on short term contracts these days, One and two year contracts of employment are not uncommon. Maybe such a contract for the new GS would concentrate his/her mind on their performance?

I have taken Airrage's advice... My home improvement loan forms are winging their way to me from the Nationwide as I type!