PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tories to look at pensions.
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2009, 08:07
sidewayspeak

One of the few remaining issues in the military that really raises my hackles - and my urge to post on this site - is the pension. I am now one of those remaining for the safe income stream and the pension at the end of the tunnel.

That said, I still do my bit as a Lincolnshire warrior, including time in the Stan. But the pension remains the last carrot of motivation. If that is 'fiddled with', it may well push more of us out.

However, it could also have the opposite effect - if we have to wait longer and work to 65 to collect it, then perhaps we will have to stay. But do you really want old folk like that on the front line!!?? My kneees and back are shot already and whilst I think will still be still deployable and active up to my departure at 55, others may not. We would end up with a very old and knackered RAF!

Even worse, what about our Army OR brothers who are 'retired' around age 40 (or 22 years service). If age legislation bites as hard as sex discrimination has, we could end up with a very old military.

Age and continued fitness to work will become the next generational mess - the military is not alone in wearing down its employees. Many other forms of employment require physical strength and/or dexterity (like construction, manual labour etc). All very well saying we are living longer, but are we still able to carry a bergan at 65, or hump a toilet cistern upstairs, or carry a bag of cement?

The issue is getting those of the appropriate age to work - not making those of us who do work, work longer. Or in daily Mail speak - get those scrounging, parasitic layabouts - from wherever they originate - out to work and off the social.

Time for another tea and shortbread.