PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet - 4
Thread: EasyJet - 4
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2009, 07:05
ChalfontFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 plus points about Easyjet

Firstly, just wanted to pick-up on the comments you make Walnut (post #570) regarding Easyjet not committing to flights if they cannot get back the same day due to bad weather. In my experience this is certainly not the case as twice this year on the STN-FNC-STN service they did fly outbound despite the risk of poor weather. In fact on the second occasion which was only a few days before the date of your post the forecast in Madeira was for heavy rain & we left STN on time. For those pilots that know FNC the visibility limit is strictly adhered too so when it drops below 5 kms they close the airport. Although initially on the day in question it may have been 50/50 & Easyjet decided to fly, when we approached FNC despite several attempts to land the strong southerly crosswind plus poor visibilty meant after holding for a further 45 minutes we diverted to the neighbouring island of Porto Santo (PXO). As the weather didn't improve sufficiently until the following day (lunchtime infact) meaning a delay of over 24 hours, all us SLF's plus of course the crew were put up in a local 4* hotel all at Easyjet's cost! Same happened to me back in January only in reverse. Couldn't leave FNC for 20 hours & again Easyjet paid for all the hotel costs including the wine at dinner!!

Throughout both times they kept us informed of the developing situation & the plans to look after us due to the bad weather. In my opinion their 'Customer Care' mirrored that of any legacy carrier I've previously experienced in similar situations e.g. BA & on both occasions I've e-mailed them complimenting them on just that fact.

As a matter of interest for those in the know on these matters are Easyjet legally bound under EU regulations to have make the overnight accomodation arrangements entirely at their expense despite the weather being beyond their control or is it just a hit on their bottom line profit? If it is the latter can they take out insurance to limit such costs?

Second point, I noticed whilst browsing through their inflight magazine on the flight back to STN that they have recently increased the maximum dimensions for cabin bags to 56x45x25cm which is the same as BA allow. I've also since checked this on their website just in case it was a misprint & sure enough the larger dimensions are now in place. Previously their dimensions were 55x40x20cm which although it may not have always have been stricltly enforced did make it a bit of a challenge to find a suitably sized case. Again a point in Easy's favour I think for being 'Customer Focused' & recognising that SLF now have more flexibility with their carry-on baggage.