PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More easyJet Pilot Slavery Deals - Oxford Aviation Academy
Old 30th Dec 2009, 00:23
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't disagree with you more strongly, Mister Geezer.

Oxford was once known as a training establishment of excellence. In fact, it was generally regarded as one of the finest flight training establishments on earth. No longer, I fear.

That they have chosen to prostitute their brand, that most precious of all things, speaks well to the sort of callow, temporary thinking that flourishes during the course of a recession. Capital, regrettably, requires constant attention. It demands massage, reassurances, flowers, dinners out and spooning in the mornings. We've all woken up next to such creatures, I'm sure, but imagine being linked by the very DNA to such a beast!
Leo, the difference is that you and I are viewing this from the outside. If I was an investor in Oxford then I would certainly be rubbing my hands with glee at this business opportunity which at £34K per candidate, is bound to be very lucrative. Oxford will never see this as them prostituting their brand as you put it. Pulling off a stunt like this with a large operator like easyJet will keep the management smiling and the ridiculous price tag that is attached will keep the financial people happy too. From a business point of view, it is a sound move since there will be an endless supply of customers who are willing to pay a ridiculous price for a Minibus type rating. I am not defending what Oxford are doing since I feel that they are exploiting vulnerable inexperienced pilots who are hungry to get strapped into an Airbus. The ethics are indeed questionable but Oxford is a business and they are there to make money. If people feel that they are prostituting their own brand then I can assure you that Oxford will not give two hoots. The queue of customers and airlines will still be constant and steady. In fact the tie up that Oxford now has with TRTO training could see more airlines being approached, which is why I fear this scheme is the tip of the iceberg.

It has been mentioned that Oxford have dipped their toe in the water with similar schemes in the past however, they were merely assisting in selecting candidates to progress to the TRTO which was not under the Oxford umbrella. This is the first occaision where by one can start with zero hours and emerge with an Airbus type rating with all the training being provided by the Oxford brand.

I would be bold enough to say that when Oxford broadened its portfolio of training facilities, it was only a matter of time until an 'oppertunity' like this was going to appear. In the eyes of Oxford management they will probably feel that they are being creative and innovative with this 'product' and to management this is just simply another training 'product'. To us it is ludicrous but to them it makes sound business sense. Finally, if it was not easyJet then another operator would be willing the void instead.