PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the point of the IMC rating?
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2002, 17:18
Fujiflyer

Some more money for Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must emphasise QNH 1013's point about using a PC simulator. I think you need to be flying, probably weekly in IMC in order to stay properly current so the simulator is invaluable to make up for not doing this, in practice. As in real IFR flying it gives no useable sensory feedback so you have to scan the appropiate instruments as if for real. I use a package called OnTop and IPTrainer which are excellent for the purpose.

Wrong Stuff: As you said the course has helped you realise how difficult of flight in IMC can be, especially when not experienced. Thats one of its several aims. As the other people have said - use it with great caution to begin with and gradually take on more whilst at all times ensuring you are comfortable with your performance & workload. Going up a few times with someone experienced is useful and sensible but as usual in flying the most is gained by self achievement - ie by doing it all by yourself. Carefully review the flight afterwards and check that you were as safe as you thought you were.

Only now, 2yrs after my IMC and with 270hrs flying do I feel able to safely undertake a true end to end IFR flight. This is assuming the flight planning is second to none, that I've practiced within the last few days on the sim and that I'm fresh. Its all about reducing stress so that you can concentrate on the core workload and not have to worry about how you would go about a diversion etc, if you had to. Do every last bit of preparation on the ground. During the flight make sure you know where you are at all times (situational awareness) and your height above terrain.

Fujiflyer