PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Women Only Flying School
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2009, 20:45
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, in the gliding world, there are men and women (and those of indeterminate gender). In l989 I flew in the Women's European Championship, as a representative of the UK. Had a wonderful time. Came next to last, as I wasn't very good, but didn't bend anything.

Women in gliding championships suffer from two forms of discrimination.
They don't have so much money. They don't have so much free time. So women (although there are a few) at the top level are rare.

The opportunity to take part in an international competition would alas have been out of my reach on a level playing field. For the past 20 years I have enjoyed competition flying; you don't have to win to have fun. Men have trouble accepting this.

Nowadays I carry on instructing, which is very satisfying. I will often try to fly with women as sometimes the blokes will try to impress rather than to be gentle and inspirational. But if we tried to run a female gliding club, I'm afraid it wouldn't get off the ground. Men have their uses, I don't mind cooking and washing up if they change the tyres and do the heavy work.