PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WSO or OBSERVERS?? A heads up....
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2009, 19:38
Lima Juliet

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts
Wotcher MGD

Yes, I have been a bit busy of late!

I flew with one and had to explain how to update the GPS.
...I guess this comes down to the fact that you can have "talentless tw@ts" in all branches. I'm pretty sure that OC78 in the picture didn't fall into this category. To further illustrate this, last year in AFG I saw some excellent mini-gun work from a couple of RAF ALMs and then from another one (who was relegated to the GPMG) an inability to "hit a cat's arse with a banjo". All of them were excellent aircrew SNCO/WOs. I've also seen some Navs that have given some Pilots on "staff workup" a damn good "learning" in air-combat-manoeuvring in both the Hawk and the Tornado - I've also seen a Nav overstress a Hawk within 5 secs of being given control (talentless tw@t? Nope, he turned out to be an excellent radar weapons sys operator and QWI).

I've seen some truly excellent aviators (Pilot/Nav/Flt Eng/AEO/ALM/S) in my 20+ yrs in the Service - many of them would have turned their hand to almost any combat aircraft and done a fine job. Then I have also seen some prize pillocks, some of whom have been promoted(!), some of whom I would not trust in my Grandfather's Heinkel Bubble Car!

What, I am trying to say, longwindedly, is that we should consider "best person for the job" and not "best branch" - that, IMHO, is why there have been some fine RW Navs.

All the very best for 2010.

LJ