PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPDATE - Seeking docs to play "House" for real
Old 29th Dec 2009, 17:57
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE - Seeking docs to play "House" for real

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I really need some help for my dangerously anemic infant daughter (Hgb count 3.6 last week). We cannot identify the cause. The docs at the children's hospital are just about out of ideas.

I'm here looking for doctors who may have the background to suggest avenues for exploration or who have seen similar cases before. I know the limitations of this request but I'm desperate for ideas. We've burned through the first 80% of the Pareto principle and are now well on the back side of that curve. Hemotology has the lead at the moment, neuro and gastro have been consulted with no interest.

Brief background:
10 month old Caucasian female
hospitalised 17 Dec with Hgb count 3.6. 2 tranfusions returned to 11.1 by 22 Dec. Reduced again to 5.6 in only 6 days, 28 Dec.
Orange skin tone first appearing 20 Oct, increasingly apparent as Hgb drops. Eye whites unaffected - still pure white!
RBCs being destroyed yet no evidence in bilirubin (count of 2-3 when Hgb was 3.6), white cell and platelet count normal. RBC production not known (marrow results tomorrow) but suspect near zero.
All common viruses, bacteria test negative

Full lab results available upon request.

That's the basics. If you can offer something to help, please get in touch either on this thread or by PM. If you know experts in ANY field who may be interested, even for the intellectual puzzle element of it, please connect us.

Somewhere, sometime, someone has seen this before - just not at our hospital.

Pitts2112

Last edited by Pitts2112; 31st Mar 2011 at 20:58. Reason: change title