PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Threat to the Shuttleworth Collection
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2009, 17:46
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with insurance - I for one don't fancy my film-star ( Marty Feldman ) type looks being re-arranged by a hit from a churning prop', and model helicopters have awful throat-slitting potential...

BTW the term ' aerodrome ' is by no means as archaic as one might first think ( though the fact the Shuttleworth Collection is by nature old may have led the local nut to think in those terms; another clue as to his knowledge )?

I grew up and later worked at Dunsfold Aerodrome West Sussex, built ( by the Canadians ) in 1942.

Though among ourselves it may have been casually referred to as ' the 'field ' etc, it was to 2000 and to my mind still is most definitely Dunsfold Aerodrome.

I suspect RAF stations gradually became ' airfields ' as it sounds more trendy and each staish or above has to be seen to make a change...

If and when there is an outcome to this, I am sure I speak for others when I say I'd love to read about it here !

May be a tad embarassing in the short term I suspect.

Meanwhile, just in case, I trust suitable precautions are being taken around the real aeroplanes - if it was nearer I'd volunteer for the odd night watch; 'nuff said.