PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cottesmore to close
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2009, 14:43
orca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G8D,

Completely agree with your post - with a caveat. The EAW construct always appeared a little like a re-branding exercise to me and didn't fit into any enduring commitment. I also agree that with the GR4/FGR4 you can service the current target set, and will continue to do so as long as (here's the caveat) HNS and well found international length runways are available and you are prepared to feed the beast that is GR4 logistics. I have assumed in accepting this that FGR4 is full-up A-A (which i hope it is, but can't confirm) and has a clear air mass to employ LGB. This strikes me as a lot that has to be going your way when a small foot print, flexibly based option with GPS weaponry was available. (But that's my opinion and i don't expect everyone to agree - we're all human and agreeing is boring)

You make a valid point about UCAV. It appeared to me in theatre that the RA in particular favoured organic fires and couldn't wait for a mix of loitering munition and GMLRS to remove air from the equation. Not an approach i favoured, but we were only there to do what the Ground Commander wanted, so if he didn't want us then who were we to argue?

AW

Half of JFH is dark blue. They'll cope with being at sea. Let's see if Fleet can cope with actually giving them something meaningful to do when they're there.