PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - L@ser attacks on Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2009, 09:46
Yenaldlooshi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID

What you're seeing is most likely an HID flashlight. HID is for High Intensity Discharge, and they put out massive amounts of Luminous flux (light) for substantial distances. It's a metal vapor high pressure inert gas arc lamp (NO filament) in a flashlight running on a Li Ion battery pack. Commonly referred to as "tactical flashlights" and used by SpecOps types, and the cops.

I bought a cheapie ($150) on eBay and at 24 watts/1400 lumens, 4300k (bright sunlight) and quick rechargeable to boot, it will light up a road sign like noon in the Sahara over a 1/2 mile away. You can get some that are super bright, kinda like your own portable neutron star if you can handle the price. It's great for that midnight walkaround preflight on an AC with a tail 30+ feet in the air, cavernous engine intakes,(to make sure no Hobo squatter has moved in to take up residence), or dark and funky wheel wells, tires & brakes. Beats the hell out of my battery inhaling halogen light.

"I love the smell of Hydraulic fluid and Jet-A in the morning" ...It smells like ...high flight.

I wonder if they make a pilot cologne?

P.S. I have nothing against Hobo's, I guess to be politically correct, I should say "Residentialy Challenged".

Last edited by Yenaldlooshi; 29th Dec 2009 at 10:48. Reason: additional smart ass remark